This week holds so many days of celebration for me. Tuesday was the first day of Spring (yayy!) and also the International Day of Happiness (yayy!). And Friday marks what would have been my 6 year marriage anniversary with my ex (surprise yayy!).
I say an “yayy!” to ALL three of these because they are ALL a celebration of growth and happiness – including my ‘failed’ marriage. You see, I know the girl I was 6 years ago and I know the women I am right now as I write this; I can tell you that they are certainly NOT the same person. Surprise t most, I don’t view my marriage or even my divorce as a negative; they are BOTH a part of by process as a striving human being. I have grown so much since saying “I do”, and even more so over just the past year after saying “I do” to myself. A lot of this growth I attribute to clearing things out of my life what no longer serve me.
Last year, I read a book called “The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo where the author explains her method of tidying up your home by removing things that no longer sparks joy [Marie Kondo cleverly named this method:”The Marie Kondo Method”, but I like to refer to it as “The Spark Joy Test”]. It is the Spring Cleaning season! If you are in the spirit to get your house in order, this is the only method I recommend.
How to Spring CleaN with The Spark Joy Test:
- Envision what you want your home to look like: organized? clean? fun? calm?
- Gather all of YOUR clothing and put it in one pile: You can ONLY do this for YOURself. Someone else is not able to decide on things for you and you cannot make these decisions for a friend. In other words, mind your business. This pile of clothes may be overwhelming, but its a part of the process.
- Pick up one item at a time and ask yourself two questions: (1) Does this item spark joy? (2) Does this item serve me and the vision I have for my home?
- If it does spark joy, take care of it and treasure it.
- If you cannot answer yes to both of these questions, let it go/set it free. This step can be hard. You may find yourself giving excuses like: “But I spent so much money on this” or “I’ve had this sweatshirt since freshman year”. Don’t trap yourself. Thank the sweatshirt for all that it has done for you thus far in your journey and then give her a new life.
- Once you finish the pile of clothes, move on to more difficult categories like books, photographs, electronics, etc.
- Enjoy your home now filled ONLY with things that spark joy. You will have the energy to actually take care of the items that you love.What is amazing is the after effect. I became more intentional about what I was bringing into my home, constantly doing the spark joy test on everything I own or even consider buying.
Now the Marie Kondo Method is meant to be for tidying your home. But I challenge that it can be applied to all other areas or our lives, so that our entire lives can be filled with joy and intention as well. I applied this same method to the people, energies, and situations I have allowed to be/remain in my life.
How to Spring CleaR with the Spark Joy Test (FYI – very similar to steps above):
- Envision what you want your life to look like: I made a vision board for my bday and use that as my overall guide.
- Think up all your relationships: Doesn’t matter if it is a strong or loose tie. Friends, family, acquaintances, coworkers, boss, etc. This pile may seem overwhelming, but this is a part of the process.
- Review one relationship at a time and ask yourself the same two questions: (1) Does this relationship spark joy? (2) Does this relationship serve me and the vision I have for my life?
- If this relationship does spark joy and serves you, take care of it and treasure it.
- If you cannot answer yes to both of these questions, let it go/set it free. This step can be hard. You may find yourself giving excuses like: “I’ve known her since we were in diapers” or “we’ve been through so much shit together”. Don’t trap yourself. Thank the relationship for all that it has done for you thus far in your journey (for all the laughter, lessons learned, etc) and then let it go. This conversation can be done directly with the person or just with yourself in deciding the amount of energy it deserves from you. But either way commit to the amount of energy you decide to give to this relationship.
- Review each relationship and situation in your life.
- Enjoy your life now filled ONLY with people and situations that spark joy and push you to being an even greater being. A lot of time we allow a relationship to take up room in our life that should not be there at all. Your energy is the same as your home in the sense that you only have so much energy to give (there’s only so much room in your home). You will notice that some relationships give you energy back while others will only drain you. Once you are giving less energy to the ones that drain, you will have more energy to give to the relationships that give you some back (thus creating an abundance of energy for you). If you think that those relationships that are left spark joy for you now, just wait and see what happens after you are able to invest even more energy, time and love.
Spring CleaRing may seem intense (and it is), but it must be done (like Spring Cleaning). It’s heavy work, but it is so worth it. Maybe you are thinking of a relationship right now that you KNOW you do not need to be giving all of your energy to, and yet you are refusing to address it/let it go. I’ll tell you that you won’t be able to ignore it for long. The universe will show you what you need to do (in subtle ways at first). But if you keep ignoring the signs, the universe will holler, yell and shout until you make the changes you need to. Do your part in your Spring Clearing and the Lord will take care of the rest. He may not handle it in the way that you want, and it may not make sense in the moment, but do your work and then allow Him to do his work for you.
I’ll go over The Spark Joy Test during this week’s Sunday Slowdown and introduce you to how to use sage to help with your Spring Clearing. Tune in on Sunday, 3/25 at 7:07pm. Follow me on Facebook to be notified as soon as I go live with these nuggets of goodness.
HAPPY SPRING CLEARING!
Let me know how your spring clearing goes: all of the challenges/struggles. Trust me, I’ve been there; we can swap clearing horror stories for days! Protect your energy, Stay blessed.